Thanks to our hefty blog role of style blogs, and the parade outside of fashion week, pattern mixing, which used to seem overly eccentric, has become a must-try trend. While mixing your polka dots and stripes can be intimidating (we have stood in front of our mirror more than once thinking, really??) once you get the hang of it your wardrobe options will literally expand! Statement pieces that were reserved for jeans, can now easily be mixed into your day to day. Read on for your cheat sheet:
Stay within the family: For safety’s sake, stay within the same color family when mixing patterns. For examples, this Rene Jersey would be adorable with a grey and white seersucker blazer.
Play with scale: Two big prints can be a bit overwhelming, but a small repetitive print can easily be worked in as a neutral. This dress would be adorable with a railroad stripe denim jacket, which would still let the large scale floral stand out. Or this print with
Keep it simple: When mixing multiple prints in one outfit, keep your accessories simple. There is no need for an armful of bracelets and a statement necklace with two statement prints. Although we’ve never turned down a coordinating statement shade!
This week we asked our office to choose their favorite current piece from Ali Ro, and where they plan to wear it. Clearly our office has vacation and warm weekends on the brain! See our first installment of office favorites here.
Beach Bound: The official beach escape for New Yorkers, a weekend in the Hamptons is a summer ritual. Our Barossa dress is the perfect balance of preppy and sexy, our choice for a bonfire on the beach or brunch by the sand.
Cheers to You: Between wedding brunches, birthday parties, graduations, and just-for-the-fun-of-it get togethers, we have more than a few cocktail parties on our schedule. We love how the Celia has evening sparkle, with a loose fit so we can hit the appetizer tray for seconds.Food & Friends: The temptation to grab friends for an al fresco dinner in the city will never get old. This dress is our pick for a casual dinner with the girls and a bottle of prosecco.
If you’re like us, you started counting the days until Memorial Day weekend on Monday! Our plans include heading to the beach, soaking up the sun, and taking in our fair share of summer snacks and cocktails. Before you jet out of town for the weekend, here are a few ideas to help plan an amazing kick off to summer.
1. Prep Your Feet: Grab a new pair of summer sandals, and get a pedi to match! As soon as the weather turned warm we couldn’t help but show off our fresh pedis and staggering wedges.
2. Sun Smarts: Find a flattering sun hat. If you plan on lounging all day on the beach, you need to find the perfect hat to shade the rays and flatter your outfit, as well as slather on SPF.
3. Fake Bake: Now is the time to give yourself a little pre-weekend glow. You’ll thank us when you slip into your sundress on Saturday! (This is our pick for getting a natural looking base.)
4. Mix It Up: If you’re playing hostess this weekend, spend some time perfecting an easy yet impressive signature drink. Bonus points if you incorporate summery fruit flavors!
5. Multitask: Find your weekend dress. Sure there is a dress for every occasion, but we’re on the hunt for the dress that will take us from brunch to barbecue to bonfire without missing a beat. This one is at the top of the list.
6. Signature Sunnies: Find the perfect pair of shades to flatter you face and attitude- heart specs are welcome!
7. Hot Weather Hair: There are few things more uncomfortable in the summer heat than standing under a blow dryer. Opt for a cute braided due, or swept back bun. Plus why not throw on a fun headband or these adorable pins to tame flyaways!
Today we’re giving you a peek behind the line to see what inspired our design team for spring. Warmer days, longer nights, and a more relaxed mindset inspired a collection of made- for- fun- dresses, classic lace with an update, and chic new silhouettes that make slightly preppy feel very cool.
Season after season, our design team continues to be inspired by lace. However, spring’s take on the feminine texture feels totally new thanks to fruity hues (we’ve never seen apricot lace- and we’re in love!) and a metallic overlay, perfect for a warm weather date night.
Citrus shades, combined with pastel blues and pinks offer a very wearable and cheery color palette. The range of shades in this Citron dress are simply begging for giant retro shades, and little else. While the icy blue pattern of our Cherry dress also has a slightly retro feeling, the relaxed shape feels totally new, and carefree for the season.
On the list of things we love about spring, quirky, bright manis are at the top along with with flirty sundresses, outdoor brunches, and longer nights. While some of these are definitely on the more “advanced” side, we love the idea of getting mani matchy with our spring wardrobe.
Geometric: Some fancy tape work will help get straight edges, and the colors perfectly reflect this plum pattern.
OPI – Sweet Memories
Essie – Playdate
Butter – Union Jack Black
Studded: A caviar nail kit is key for this studded mani, but some chunky glitter from the drugstore can get a similar result. East Hampton is a perfect match for our Isla dress.
Essie – East Hampton Cottage
NARS – Versailles
Stripes: This sweet nautical dress gets a funky complement with an off beat mani. We love the mix of glitter and stripes in this one!
Sephora by OPI – Robin Egg Blue
Deborah Lippmann – Stardust
Essie – Blanc
It’s officially anorak weather! One half of our favorite Everygirl team, Danielle, shared a glimpse of her anorak with us on Instagram this week, and now we want to see how you’re styling it. Are you sticking with a classic in Black or Putty, or sporting a new spring color like Red Hot or Grenada (one of our new favorites!) Share your #AliRoStyle with us on Instagram @AliRoStyle, and have a great spring weekend!
It may be heating up outside, but we’re loving shades of icy blue in our wardrobe. It’s a natural shift from fall’s love for cobalt, and the pastel hue feels right for spring. Whether you’re wearing it in a slouchy silky silhouette or a feminine fit and flare we love the crispness of ice blue and white. We can’t get enough of it on our nails, oversized baubles, or swiped across the lids for a fun 90s throw back. Get more ice blue inspiration here!